Updated: Apr 14
Make what you need, right at home, to stave off unnecessary trips to the store. We'll be posting a daily series of ideas from our book, offered freely, in our Forum here. Today's Home Hack was our all-purpose orange peel cleaner (not a disinfectant), but we've got so many other uses for citrus peel, we've put them together here:
20 Citrus Peel Home Hacks:
Turns out orange peel skin, and citrus peel in general, whether it’s dried or fresh, is a versatile material that can be used widely from the kitchen, to the garden, and in the fireplace. If you don’t compost, here are our top 20 orange peel uses to entice you to keep them out of your garbage.
1) Make a natural cleaning product. It will work wonders in your house and office and is really easy to make. Saves a bundle, too.
2) Dry your orange peels and use as fire starter. They’re naturally flammable and burn longer than your ordinary stick.
3) Orange peels in water make a great insect repellent for the home. Keep ’em out!
4) Create an orange peel candle.
5) Orange peel essential oil is a really strong ingredient to add to any natural house cleaning product.
6) Put all your orange peels in the compost for natural fertilizer for your garden.
7) Use your peels for orange zest in recipes.
8) Place some dried peels in your old brown sugar to make sure it doesn’t solidify due to moisture.
9) Make spiced candied orange peel and give it as a gift.
10) Orange peel roses look beautiful as a centerpiece.
11) Try your luck with an orange peel sugar scrub to kiss winter skin goodbye.
12) Start your garden early by growing seedlings in a citrus peel starter pot.
13) Squeeze orange peels onto your dryer lint to enhance their ability as fire starter fodder.
14) Dried orange peels can extend the life of your potpourri.
15) Orange peel deodorizer: Put a few orange peels in the bottom of your trash cans. They are a great deodorizer.
16) Natural mosquito repellent: Try rubbing orange peels over your skin to deter those bugs.
17) Make an orange peel bird feeder for the birds.
18) Simmer with your favorite whole spices like allspice, cinnamon, and cloves to create a lovely aroma in your home.
19) Make some cool looking orange peel teeth for Halloween.
20) Occasionally put an orange peel down into the garbage disposal to clean out your disposal and make it smell fresh.
Don’t stop at 20!
21) Craft some adorable orange peel boats with the kids.
What do you do with your orange peels? Please tell us in the comments here, or join our conversation in our forum!